SHORT SUMMARY OF SCIENTIFIC LIFE
Dr. Juan A. Baeza (Barcelona, 1969) is Full Professor at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) since November 2019. Dr. Baeza is currently Head of the Department of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering at UAB. He leads research on nutrient removal from urban wastewater in the GENOCOV group at UAB. His scientific objective is working towards a circular economy scenario in the wastewater field, developing more efficient technologies for wastewater treatment including resource and energy recovery.
He is teaching courses at UAB in topics of Chemical Engineering and Environmental Engineering. He has participated in 26 competitive scientific projects, being PI in 7 of them. Dr. Baeza is member of the International Water Association and Chair of the Management Committee of the IWA Specialist Group on Instrumentation, Control and Automation. He is also a founding member of AERIS Environmental Technologies (http://www.aeristec.com) a Spin-off company of the UAB.
- Editor. Water Science and Technology, International Water Association.
- Associate Editor. Water Environment Research, Water Environment Federation.
- Chair of the Management Committee of the IWA Specialist Group on “Instrumentation, Control and Automation”.
- 103 publications in ISI Web of Science, h-index = 34, total citations = 3193, average citations per article = 31.
- 94 conferences presentations (57 oral, 37 panel).
- 16 PhD thesis supervised, and currently supervising 4.
- Reviewer > 450 articles for more than 60 international journals
Current research interests:
- Nutrient recovery from wastewater.
- Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal (EBPR)
- Advanced nitrogen removal: Nitritation, denitritation, nitrification, denitrification.
- Control and supervision of processes.
- Modelling of biotechnological processes.
- Bioelectrochemical systems: microbial fuel cells, microbial electrolysis cells, bioelectrosynthesis.
- Scientific and technical objectives in the medium / long term are the development of more efficient technologies for wastewater treatment to reduce the resources needed for the treatment and even obtaining net energy generation.
- Baeza JA, Gabriel D, Lafuente J Improving the nitrogen removal efficiency of an A(2)/O based WWTP by using an on-line Knowledge Based Expert System Water Res 36 (8): 2109-2123, 2002.
- Pijuan M., Saunders AM., Guisasola A, Baeza JA., Casas C , Blackall LL. Enhanced biological phosphorus removal in a sequencing batch reactor using propionic acid as the sole carbon source. Biotechnol Bioeng, 85(1): 56-67, 2004.
- Baeza JA, Gabriel D, Lafuente J Effect of internal recycle on the nitrogen removal efficiency of an anaerobic/anoxic/oxic (A(2)/O) wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) Process Biochem 39 (11): 1615-1624, 2004.
- Guisasola A, Petzet S, Baeza JA, Carrera J, Lafuente J. Inorganic carbon limitations on nitrification: experimental assessment and modelling, Water Res, 41(2), 277-286, 2007.
- Guerrero J, Guisasola A, Baeza JA. The nature of the carbon source rules the competition between PAO and denitrifiers in systems for simultaneous biological nitrogen and phosphorus removal. Water Research, 45(16): 4793-4802, 2011.
- Guerrero J, Guisasola A, Vilanova R, Baeza JA. Improving the performance of a WWTP control system by model-based setpoint optimisation. Environ Modell Softw, 26: 492-497, 2011.
- Ruiz Y, Baeza JA, Guisasola A. Enhanced Performance of Bioelectrochemical Hydrogen Production with a pH Control Strategy. ChemSusChem, 8(2):389-397, 2015.
- Montpart N, Rago L, Baeza JA, Guisasola A. Hydrogen production in single chamber microbial electrolysis cells with different complex substrates. Water Research, 68: 601-615, 2015.
- Blázquez E, Gabriel D, Baeza JA, Guisasola A. Treatment of high-strength sulfate wastewater using an autotrophic biocathode in view of elemental sulfur recovery. Water Research, 105: 395-405, 2016.
- Baeza JA, Martínez-Miró A, Guerrero J, Ruiz Y, Guisasola A. Bioelectrochemical hydrogen production from urban wastewater on a pilot scale. Journal of Power Sources, 356: 500-509, 2017.
- Massara TM, Malamis S, Guisasola A, Baeza JA, Noutsopoulos C, Katsou E. A review on nitrous oxide (N2O) emissions during biological nutrient removal from municipal wastewater and sludge reject water. Science of the Total Environment, 596-597: 106-123, 2017.
- Chan C, Guisasola A, Baeza JA. Enhanced biological phosphorus removal at low sludge retention time in view of its integration in A-stage systems. Water Research, 118: 217-226, 2017.
- Massara TM, Solís B, Guisasola A, Katsou E, Baeza JA. Development of an ASM2d-N2O model to describe nitrous oxide emissions in municipal WWTPs under dynamic conditions. Chemical Engineering Journal, 335: 185-196, 2018.
- Larriba O, Rovira E, Juznic-Zonta Z, Guisasola A, Baeza JA. Evaluation of the integration of P recovery, polyhydroxyalkanoate production and short cut nitrogen removal in a mainstream wastewater treatment process. Water Research,172: 115474, 2020.
- Thesis: http://hdl.handle.net/10803/5318
- Publons: https://publons.com/a/463851/
- IWA Connect: https://iwa-connect.org/#/user/5660ad02340f2a9d1260c58b