SHORT SUMMARY OF SCIENTIFIC LIFE
Jimmy Anderson Martínez Ruano (Túquerres, Colombia 1994) is a Chemical Engineer (National University of Colombia, 2016) and MsC in Chemical Engineering (National University of Colombia, 2019). During MsC studies, his research was mainly related to the analysis of biotechnological schemes for biogas production from residual biomass considering technical, economic, environmental and social aspects. At the same time, he worked in biomass conversion to value-added products through process assessment and the valorisation of residues within a sustainable biorefinery.
Currently, He is a PhD candidate in the Cellular Culture Group from Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso, studying the conversion of CO2 to ethanol and acetate in a bioelectrochemical system using acetogenic bacteria. His doctoral thesis is entitled “CO2 conversion into ethanol and acetate through an electrochemical cell-recycle bioreactor by Clostridium autoethanogenum DSMZ 10061”. Recently, with support from the Horizon 2020 MSCA-RISE RECYCLES project. He joined the GENOCOV research group at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, and he will work with Dr. David Gabriel Buguña and Dr. Albert Guisasola to enhance his experience in transforming waste effluents to valuable products using bioelectrochemical systems.
Jimmy’s current research interests are:
· Study of anaerobic bacteria for CO2 capture.
· Microbial electrosynthesis of organic compounds
· Design, construct and evaluate new bioprocesses for resource recovery from liquid/gas emissions.
· Scaling-up and techno-economic assessment of bioelectrochemical systems
· Biorefinery design and biofuels production.
• J.A. Martínez-Ruano, D.S. Restrepo-Sera, E. García, J.A. Poveda, G. Aroca , C.A. Cardona Alzate, Effect of co-digestion of milk-whey and potato stem on heat and electricity generation using biogas as an energy vector, Applied Energy, ISSN: 0306-2619, Editorial: Elsevier, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.03.005.
• J.A. Martínez-Ruano, A.S. Caballero-Galván, D.L. Restrepo-Serna C.A. Cardona. Techno-Economic and Environmental Assessment of Biogas Production from Banana Peel (Musa paradisiaca) in a Biorefinery Concept, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, ISSN: Online (1614-7499) Print ISSN (0944-1344), Editorial: Springer, 2018, DOI/URL: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-1848-y.
• C.A. García Velásquez, E. García, A.S. Caballero-Galván, J.C. Solarte-Toro, J.A. Martínez-Ruano, C.A. Cardona. Production of Ethanol Using Pinus patula as Raw Material: Economic and Energy Assessment, Waste and Biomass Valorization. ISSN: Online (1877-265X) Print ISSN (1877-2641), Editorial: Springer Netherlands, 2018, DOI/URL: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12649-018-0494-4.
• D.S. Restrepo-Sera, J.A. Martínez-Ruano, C.A. Cardona, Energy Efficiency of Biorefinery Schemes Using Sugarcane Bagasse as Raw Material, Energies - Open Access Journal, ISSN: 1996-1073, Editorial: MDPI journals, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11123474.
• J.A. Martínez-Ruano, C.A. Taimbu de la Cruz, C.E. Orrego, C.A. Cardona. Techno-economic analysis of chitosan-based hydrogels production, Cellulose-based superabsorbent hydrogels, ISBN: 978-3-319-76573-0, Springer International Publishing, 2018, 1-22.